Kyrgyzstan Map

Kyrgyzstan Map

WAITING FOR NOODLE

Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Friday, August 21, 2009

Trades/Craigslist/and a cool idea anyone want to do this also?

A few months ago I was watching TV. A show came on about a man who started out with a paperclip and traded his way to some big stuff! Hmm, "I thought to myself" I wondered if this could work.... So I tried. A few weeks ago I posted an ad on Craigslitst ( I am addicted you see) I had a hot pink frisbee that my dog had won at a toss and fetch competition and would anyone want to trade for a good cause.. (I'll get to that in a bit) Anyway.... Just a few days later I was the proud owner of a golf club! So I listed the golf club...... and waited, and reposted... and waited.. well I am now the the owner of a Zeiss Contaflex camera circa 1957!! ( and the golf club) I made my golf club swap this morning. The owner of the camera promtly said " I own a golf course in North Carolina. I have about 50 cameras sitting around my house. This golf club will do me no good, please take it back and relist it for your cause!!! Yikes!!! serious??? I was ecstatic. So I have another person who was already interested in swapping the golf club with me. So now I am not swapping one thing I am swapping TWO for a "cause". I am going to take some photos with this camera and actually get them developed and will post them here soon. Supposedly the type of lens that is on this camera is superior to any lens made to date.
And what about the "cause"? Well anyone who knows me knows where my heart lies. ( I am going to be a bit vague here because there are some key words that I am going to try to avoid for various reasons.) I am hoping to swap up several more times until I have something that will hopefully be worth auctioning off. The proceeds to help our friends at http://www.actofkindness.blogspot.com/ . I so can't wait to see what happens next. I already have some bidding on swapping for the camera! So exciting!!!
Part three... This project takes some time... and patience.. But would be very cool to have some others playing along with me, and see what we can come up with in the next month. There are soooo many people that a few hundred dollars would change/ save their lives in our beloved central asian country 7300 miles away!!! But all you have to do is find something relatively worth nothing that you are willing to part with... post what the cause is for and (filter out the spam) wait.. and then go swap!!! Its fun. The people I have met are not really interested in what they are getting...... They like the "cause" and they get to be a part of the game!


2 comments:

Kimberly said...

What a great idea! Not sure I have anything to trade, but if I think of something I will definitely do this.

Maria said...

I'd love to do this; it sounds like such fun!! Email me at mblatham@charter.net I'd like to see what you wrote for the original ad and get further details on how you are working this!! Maria (Ellie's mom!!)